Alternative Energy Solutions
Cummins Power Generation designs, builds and maintains on–site power generation systems that can use a variety of alternative fuels. These specially designed low–Btu gas generator sets can run on either natural gas, or a variety of other gases. One example is methane, that is being created by converting waste–to–energy from landfills. Alternative fuel applications include:
- Solid waste landfill gas — when organic material in landfills is digested by anaerobic bacteria, it produces a gas that is about 50 percent methane.
- Municipal sewage digester gas — sewage digesters produce a gas that is 65 – 75 percent methane.
- Biogas from agricultural wastes — digesters can produce methane gas from hog, cattle and poultry confinement wastes.
- Coal seam gas — methane, which occurs naturally in coal deposits, can be collected and burned in a gas generator set.
- Flare gas — flammable gases and vapors from oil exploration activities and refining can also be used for power generation.
- Biodiesel — diesel fuel can be mixed with up to 10 percent of oils and fats from plant or animal sources and burned in an unmodified diesel generator.
For more information please provide a brief overview of your needs to our Power Solutions group.
Alternative Energy & Waste–to–Energy Literature:
These brochures are in PDF () format; to view them, you will need Adobe Reader® software.
- Lean-Burn Gas Fueled Generator Sets (2040kb)
- Conjuntos de geradores a gás de combustão Lean-Burn (1.8MB, Portuguese - European)
- Grupos geradores a gás Lean-Burn (1.8MB, Portuguese - Latin American)
- Grupos electrógenos de mezcla pobre (1.8MB, Español)
- Groupes électrogènes à gaz à mélange pauvre (81kB, François)
- Газопоршневые электрогенераторы на обедненной газовой смеси (1,785kB, русский)
- 稀薄燃烧气体燃料发电机组 (892kB, Mandarin)
- Genset alimentati a gas a miscela magra (1.7MB, Italian)
- Gasgestookte generatorsets op arme mengsels (1.78MB, Dutch)
- Gasbetriebene Magergemisch-Gensets (1.8MB, German)
- Gas Project Application Capabilities (2.2MB)
- 天然气项目应用程序功能 (2.0MB - Mandarin)
- Проекты с использованием газопоршневых установок Возможности использования (2.3MB - русский)
- Experts in gasprojecten (2.3MB - Dutch)
- Soluzioni applicative Impianti a gas (2.3MB - Italian)
- Unsere Kompetenz für Ihr Gas-Energieprojekt (2.3MB - German)
- Proyecto de gas Capacidades de aplicación (2.3MB - Español)
- Projeto a Gás Capacidades da Aplicação (2.3MB - Portuguese - Latin American)
- Powering your world (1.7MB)
- Waste-to-Energy Fuels (1.5MB)
- Combustibili Waste-to-Energy (2.39MB, Italiano)
- Получение Энергии из Отходов (2.39MB, русский)
- Energia a partir de residuos (2.39MB, Español)
- Combustíveis para a valorização energética de resíduos (1.4MB, Português)
- 垃圾发电燃料 (3.7MB, Mandarin)
- Valorisation énergétique des déchets (2.2MB, François)
- Brandstoffen uit afval (2.2MB, Dutch)
- Waste to Energy (2.0MB, German)
- Powering your world (1.4MB)
These case histories are in PDF () format; to view them, you will need Adobe Reader® software.
- Viridor Waste Management – Scotland (196kb)
In addition to disposing of thousands of tons of waste daily from its 193–acre site east of Edinburgh, Scotland, Viridor Waste Management uses two low–Btu gas generator sets from Cummins Power Generation to produce 3.5 MW of electricity from the methane created by decaying rubbish.
- MEVA Energy – Sweden (594kb)
Meva Energy AB of Gothenburg has built an innovative plant in Lapland, in the far north of Sweden, that is commercializing cyclone gasifier technology developed by Lulea Technical University.
- Columbus Water Works – United States (553kb)
Columbus Water Works was looking for a solution for its South Plant that would couple renewable fuel with cogeneration. After extensive evaluation, Cummins ESB NA was deemed to have the best technical fit for the application, supported by a world-class parts and service network.
- Riverside Sewage Treatment Works – London, UK (553kb)
Thames Water Utilities Ltd is the UK’s largest water and wastewater services company. Every day it supplies 2.6 billion litres of drinking water from 100 water treatment works through 32,000 km of managed water mains to 8.7 million customers across London and the Thames Valley.
These technical papers are in PDF () format; to view them, you will need Adobe Reader® software.